Friday, June 22, 2007

Judge Not

I know it, that I judge others and that what I fear most is being judged by others. There is irony in that, but I don't think it's irony that God finds the least bit funny.

How can I be so sure that this lacks all humor in God's eyes? Because God spoke through Matthew saying, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

You hypocrite! How much more accurate can it get? I am judging others yet I do not expect the same? I am judging others when I have fallen so short myself? Have I been given a sliding scale by which to measure the greatest of sin? No! There is no such thing! God does not measure our sins as greater or less then, but as equal, regardless of what they are. Jesus did not die on the cross for only me...he died for those that I so unfairly judge as well!

So why can I not remember that? Why can I not remember that God so loved the whole world that He gave His only Son. He didn't just love some of us, like I do. He loved ALL of us...equally...without judgement! He died for ALL of us...equally...without judgement!

Why then do I continue to judge?

I need to commit to memory Matthew 7:2, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

So when I heap out cupfulls upon cupfulls of judgement upon my neighbor, what more then can I expect then to be judged the same way? I am garaunteed no less! I can expect no less! I deserve no less!

No comments: