Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Majoring in "Me" with a minor in "False Humility"

Selfishness vs. Servanthood... When the war is waged in our lives, we side with selfishness. We major in "me." We have this me, my, mine attitude in our lives and forget about others. We want someone else to serve us, to give us the massage, the pedicure, or the shoulder rub. We don't want to serve anyone else because we think of servants as weaker than, less than, or below us.
Ed Young http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/edyoung/

This Sunday I will be teaching about the Lord's Supper in Sunday school. The main focus of the lesson for the preschoolers is about how Jesus washes the feet of the disciples. I'll admit, as I prepared to write the lesson, I thought, 'Jesus is clearly preforming a job that is below Him to prove a point'. And then it hit me. The point I thought He was proving, was not the point at all; at least not for me.

Why did the thought even cross my mind that there was a job 'below' Him? Am I saying that Jesus was too good to wash dirty feet, but that scrubbing caked on dust and mud was a job fitting for someone else? Who? Who was I thinking was worthy or unworthy, as the case may be, of having that job?

How I have fallen short! I thought I was doing good at not assuming that there was any job that was 'below' anyone, but obviously that is not the case. My words express one thing, but my heart expresses quite another.

Are there jobs that I believe that I am above doing? Do I have a servant's heart? A heart that is willing to scrub dirt and dust from another's feet?

It's time I take a serious look into the type of servant I have become. I have spent enough time seeking a major in "me" and a minor in "false humility". It is time that I sincerely seek out what type of servant that God is calling me to be.








No comments: